New Longton Village - a brief history


New Longton is a pleasant, leafy village located 4 miles South West of Preston, in the district of South Ribble, in the county of Lancashire, North West England.
 
To see some pictures in and around the village click on 'Pictures around New Longton' on the left hand menu

It is presently in the political electoral catchment area of Longton, its larger and older village neighbour 2 miles to the west.

New Longton is a new village by local standards. Up to the late 19th century it was a collection of scattered farms and cottages. The village development was prompted by the building of the Preston to Southport railway line started in 1873. A station called "Hutton and Howick" later renamed "New Longton and Hutton" was built at the junction of what is now Station Road and Chapel Lane, where there was once a level crossing of the road. As with the rest of Britain the post war housing boom saw extensive expansion of the village housing stock from the 1940's onwards

The village lost its railway service with the line finally closing in 1967. Little trace of the line now exists. For further details of the railway  click here West Lancashire Railways

New Longton is now a dormitory commuter village with a regular bus service into Longton and Preston and the M6, M61, M65 motorways are only four miles away. The area is mainly agricultural with mostly flat land now drained and cultivated known locally as 'the Moss'. The main crops are market garden produce, rose growing and some animal farming.

The village contains several shops, a Post Office, a Doctor's surgery, a school, two churches, two busy sports and social clubs and a nursing home.

In 2004, New Longton won the Lancashire's Best Kept Village competition


For an aerial photograph view  of New Longton CLICK HERE ...





Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: xn6800